740 Brake Lights

Lost the brake lights on our '86 740. Stoplight switch at pedal is OK, has almost 13 volts. But nothing at the rear; taillights are OK. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Jim Corey

Open up the bulb failure sensor, it's the red can in the fuse box. You'll find cracked solder joints on the circuit boards inside it. Reflow those with some fresh solder and plug it back in, should be good to go.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks. Looking at the wiring diagram, I thought that could be the problem. The audio equalizer is above the plug-ins, so it's crowded. But I have today's work cut out .

J Corey '86 740

400K miles -- all mine!
Reply to
Jim Corey

I pulled the red can and opened it up. Could find no breaks on the circuit board, but there was a bit of corrosion. leaned it up, but didn't help, so I jumped from the brake light switch to the brake light assembly. It got the lights working. Now the strange part. When I removed the temporary jumper to run it "properly", the lights began to work normally. But then they crumped again. So I made the jumper semi-permanent, until I can get to a junk yard.

Damn. The car only 400k miles and it's already falling apart.