740 Idle Problems

I have a 1989 740 SE with the 2 litre B200E engine and am having real trouble with a rough idle problem which has recently started.

The car when idling feels very lumpy and also smells very rich e.g. like it is running on three cylinders.

I have replaced the normal things e.g.

Air Filter, Plugs, Leads, Distributor Cap, Rotor Arm, Checked for air leaks and so on ...

But the problem is still there, could anyone else shed some light on this ?

Engine runs fine otherwise, this is just on idle, not so bad when warmed up.

Regards, Gavin Jones

Reply to
Gavin Jones

Inlet manifold gasket?

Reply to
Peter

Gavin,

I've recently had the same problem myself on my 2 Litre B200E engine (same year). It turned out to be fuel injector seals around engine block, they are like "O" rings.

To make sure it is this, with engine running spray some WD40 around the bottom of the injectors and listen if the engine changes note, if it does then seal has gone and your sucking in air, causing tick over problems.

There is an inner & outer seal for each injector, only the outer ones on mine were gone. Very easy to replace, just undo one bolt, pull out the injector, pull off seal, then replace with new one, refit injector, re tighten bolt. That's it.

Cost about £1.50 each from a Volvo dealer. I had replaced everything you had, spent a fortune (like you) then a mechanic had a look for me and found these seals had gone.

Good luck. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Did you clean out the throttle body? Maybe overdue for FI service? Maybe you can get your car to run ok at a lower idle, so that the low idle isn't really a problem. I had to do that on a 740.

Reply to
james of tucson