740 Sunroof problem

Hi,

Recently my manual crank sunroof has been acting up. at first it was not closing all the way. Now after tinkering with it, its now worse. the furthest I can close the roof now to the point where the crank won't turn any more still leaves 2 inches of daylight showing. the more i tinker the less it will close. any ideas on how to fix this? I'd hope not to have to take it to the the dealership to get serviced. Failing that does any one have a good volvo mechanic in the Vancouver, BC area that has reasonable rates? Thanks.

Reply to
alex.leynes

it may be "jumping" the teeth, in the gear...i had a mid 80's 240 do this...it is a "manual type crank handle"? if so, remove the cover plate, the remove the handle itself (screw in the center) re adjust the theeth, make sure it is working properly before re-assembling....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Is it crashing into the air deflector? I had that happen with mine and had to replace the two levers that push it down, very expensive little suckers and *every* pair I found at a junkyard were rusty.

Reply to
James Sweet

The most expensive single thing I've ever had to repair on my 240 (except for the turbo) was the suroof. If there's any way to do it yourself then do it.

I have diagrams which were sent to me but they're for a 240. Perhaps someone can send you the scematics for the 740?

To add to what Beancounter wrote, once you get the crank handle off and remove the attached gear (the one that turns when you turn the crank) you should be able to slide the roof back and forth. If you still can't slide it shut (you won't be able to shut it all the way so that it is flush with the roof because there are lifters at the back, but the leading edge should reach the normal frontmost position) then look for an obstruction (which could be the wind deflector).

blurp

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 03:13:23 GMT, the illustrious "James Sweet" favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp