Power steering fluid type?

I have a 1990 740 and I wanted to change the power steering fluid.In the manual it says to use type F fluid.I couldn?t find type F fluid anywhere.What should I use for power steering fluid?Thank you! Ronnie

Reply to
ronbc

check for DEXRON II type on the bottle

Reply to
Jan-Erik

Type F and F-L-M are the same thing. DEXRON III is backwards compatible with Type F in most applications.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Dietz

"Robert Dietz

From what I understand, Dexron is almost the same thing a Mercon, the new Ford standard. Type F is the old Ford standard, and is not compatible with fluids labelled Dexron/Mercon. That said this applies to transmissions and the like, for power steering fluid, it really doesn't matter on the Volvo.

To the original poster - Type F is usually sold as Ford type transmission fluid.

Reply to
Mike F

Hi, power steering fluid is the same as Automatic Transmission Fluid

Reply to
Mathieu Paardekooper

So auto transmission fluid works just as well?So any trans fluid that says Dexron III will work?I also was looking at trans fluid today and I say some that said type F trans fluid.Is this the same thing?

Reply to
ronbc

For power steering on your car it doesn't really matter which auto trans. fluid you use, but since Volvo actually specifies type F (or Ford type) and you have it available, why not get some and use it?

Reply to
Mike F