760 spare tire woes (and plea)

Greetings, all. I have a 1989 760 turbo with 193,000 miles on which I'm slowly working out the 14 years of deferred maintenance (new cylinder head, Hall effect sender, some front end components, 1 tire, faulty window controls, etc.). The main issue right now is the original "donut" spare -- it's worn beyond use (i.e., it's worn through to the cords in at least a hald-dozen places). No one I've tried sells tires to fit these (155R15), Volvo wants >$300 for a replacement or ~$125 for an empty steel wheel, no wrecking yards around me have any Volvo wheels.

Does anyone out there have a 15" "donut" spare with a reasonable amount of life left that they'd sell me, or just a plain 15" rim that I could mount a tire on?

I'm carrying around a can of "Fix-a-Flat", but that only works so far....

Thanks,

--Dale

Reply to
Dale James

Tire Rack will sell you a new steel 15x6 wheel for $40, or a new aluminum

15x7 wheel for $99-$119 (these are aftermarket, not OEM, wheels). It looks as though the web site only offers the steel ones if you are looking for a winter wheel and tire package, but you can probably call them if you want to buy a new tire mounted on a steel wheel for (full size) spare use.

Here is a URL listing the wheels that Tire Rack offers:

&snowSortCode150&show=threeWheels

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Go to your nearest wreckers yard and purchase an ordinary wheel and tyre (same size as is fitted to your car) and place that in the wheel well in the trunk. Before you stow it check that the pressure is more than the highest pressure you use.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

There's a yard near me that has quite a few volvos.. I'm headed there Monday AM to find an ignition control module. If you'd like, I'll see what's there...

Tony snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Anthony Flint

Try erievovo.com -- if they have one, they'll ship it to you. Their prices and service is pretty good.

bev

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

I thought all older Volvos had a full size spare? at least over the pond (UK) they seem to. there certainly is plenty room in the spare tire wells in these cars !!!! I have a full size spare that sits under the 7 seater option in the rear of my 740 estate and with the extra seats folded down, you would'nt know it was different from the regular car, except for the extra seatbelts showing at the sides of the rear window.

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

They have space for one but originally they came with a space saver.

Reply to
James Sweet