'81 240 clunks/vibrates on the highway

Has 280K, but had U-joints and carrier bearing replaced in the past. When going down the highway either in 4th or OD, if I let off the gas and then hit it, there's short buzz/vibration and/or a clunk that sounds like it's coming from under the car between the seats, then it smooths out and drives normally.

Could this be a transmission mount at the cross-member? I had an '85 Camaro do a similar thing (the clunk, not the vibration) and that's what it was. I haven't been under it yet to see.

It needs a clutch, so I'll have it out anyway in a few days. Just wondered if this part should be ordered in advance or if I can find one easily. KennyH

Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.

Reply to
KHanawalt

Just a thought..could the clunk be something in the boot, like a loose tire iron or jack ?

Reply to
Rojo2G

No, sometimes it's a buzz, and it's driveline related. I don't know if the overdrive unit is slipping or the differential is acting up.

It could even be loose rear suspension bushings allowing the driveshaft to move too much. KennyH