850 AC Problem

I have a 95 850 Turbo, with automatic climate control. The AC works great for 15-20 minutes, then stops cooling. Turning the AC off for a couple of minutes will allow the AC to work for a few more minutes. I've had the freon charged (guy commented that it wasn't very low), with no effect.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Reply to
mike.guillebeau

The 95's have two problems. One is that there is a system overpressure switch on the back of the compressor that fails, disconnect the plug going to it to solve the problem. The other is that the clutch coil will overheat and allow the compressor to stop running after about 15-20 minutes. If it proves to be the second item you will probably be looking at a compressor and accumulator/drier replacement. Nobody is going to risk having to pull the accessory bracket off the side of the motor the second time for no charge after having done that job and more the first time around just to change the compressor clutch.

Bob

Reply to
User

I have this *EXACT* problem with my '96 850 wagon 5spd.

The local volvo experts told me pretty much what mike.guillebeau said and I am having the compressor changed tomorrow...

I can post the results and how much it cost me...

Reply to
Atif