AC Behavior

94 Grand Caravan. 227K miles. Temp. 80's and 90's. Wasn't cooling well, so I checked freon and got borderline reading-added more. Got colder. A few days later was not cooling well. Blower fan quit, but next morning when I started the car the blower was working. AC was not cooling. I checked fuses for looseness-OK. When I turned on the AC there was a change in the engine sound as if the AC came on, so I looked at the compressor. The outer ring, outside the pulley, was not turning. Isn't that supposed to turn when I switch on the AC? Rhe car has high mileage, but the AC has been working OK until recently. Any constructive ideas will be appreciated.
Reply to
Mustache

First of all that vehicle has a site glass that will let you know if the system is low on freon. It is just under the jack on the right fender. When the compressor is engaged the pulley and hub (clutch) are supposed to turn. If the freon is very low it is designed to not come on at all to prevent damage to the compressor. When you say border line reading what exactly are you seeing and who gave you those border lines??

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I would think a 94 is a R-134 system.