850 clutch replacement help needed

My 1993 850 needs a new clutch now that it has 160,000miles and been subjected to 5 drivers including my 2 children. I'm interested in anyone's experience replacing it. I have done all of the work on this car since it was new but I want to know how much time to allow for the job and if there are any special tools needed.

What are the recommended parts and cost estimate for them?

Thanks,

Reply to
RAZ

My 1993 850 needs a new clutch now that it has 160,000miles and been

Reply to
RAZ

This is not a small job you should figure on about 8-10 hrs to perform whole job this is a job best left to a qualified repair shop whither it be your local garage or the local Volvo dealer Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Klein

This is not a small job you should figure on about 8-10 hrs to perform whole job this is a job best left to a qualified repair shop whither it be your local garage or the local Volvo dealer Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Agreed. When I had the rear crankshaft seal replaced on my 850, they had to pull the entire engine/transmission/subframe unit. One lift needed to hold the car up, and another to lower the several-hundred-pound engine from the bay. The same operation would be required to dismpount the transmission for a clutch swap as well, Not exactly a DIY job, unless you have the lifts.

(I've done rear-drive clutches without problems, but I wouldn't attempt it in a FWD car.)

Doug Warner

Thanks guys. I've also done RWD clutches, but this sounds much more complicated. Does anyone have a cost ballpark?

BobZ

Agreed. When I had the rear crankshaft seal replaced on my 850, they had to pull the entire engine/transmission/subframe unit. One lift needed to hold the car up, and another to lower the several-hundred-pound engine from the bay. The same operation would be required to dismpount the transmission for a clutch swap as well, Not exactly a DIY job, unless you have the lifts.

(I've done rear-drive clutches without problems, but I wouldn't attempt it in a FWD car.)

RAZ

Not sure where you are, but in the UK, the volvo dealer will charge around £650+ assuming no other work needs doing.

I would strongly suggest that you have the flywheel removed, possibly skimmed lightly if its scored, and the main crank oil seal replaced- they are known to be weak and leak prone.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Tim,

I'm in Boston, USA but I think the rates will be similar at an independent shop. Good suggestion on oil seal, even though in 150,000 miles no leak YET, it might as well be done.

RAZ

Reply to
RAZ

Yeah you'll be kicking yourself if you don't have it replaced and it starts leaking 10k miles later.

Reply to
James Sweet