oil line question

OK, I am lazy I admit it. I brought the 94 940 turbo into the garage for an oil change and looked under it.

Looks like a typical car, however right at the oil filter mounting plate there are oil lines that go to (I guess) either a oil cooler or the turbo (or both?)

looking on the us passanger side toward the front of the car some one put a simple rubber hose on the oil filter plate boss where I suppose a barb nipple holds it on with a hose clamp.

This cheap set up filled me with considerable fear of long trips where the oil gets real hot swells the hose and ...god I dont even want to think of what might happen.

Is a hose of SUITABLE quality whats suposta be there, or is there some steel pipe ting, or what?

Thanks

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

Those hoses carry coolant not oil. If you're worried about them, buy new ones, and new clamps too.

Reply to
Mike F

Coolant? Isn't he talking about the oil cooler lines that connect to the oil filter mount? The turbo water lines only connect to the turbo and they go to the radiator hoses.

Reply to
James Sweet

It's caled an oil cooler, but it's really a cooler/warmer. It brings the oil up to temperature quicker in cold weather and helps cool it down in hot weather. If you're noy careful when changing the oil you can c*ck it so it will chafe a hole and puke all the coolant.

Bob

Reply to
User

Those *are* the lines in question.

I was relieved for a 1/2 day...sigh. What do I to to correct this?

Reply to
Steve

If they've been altered from original setup you could replace them with new hoses, if you just don't like the original setup (rubber hoses with crimped metal fittings on the end) you could get some braided stainless covered lines from a race shop.

Reply to
James Sweet

Originally with Volvo turbos (your car for example) there were hoses that carried oil from a thermostatic device at the base of the oil filter to an air cooled heat exchanger. With the intercooler and radiator redesign in the early '90s, the thing at the base of the filter became a liquid to liquid heat exchanger that has coolant in the hoses. With the 850, they sent the oil (so oil in hoses again) to a liquid to liquid heat exchanger in one of the rad tanks similar to the transmission cooler. Then in 1999 this heat exchanger was mounted on the side of the engine (so no oil hoses again), which is where it has been on every turbo since, as far as I know.

As Bob mentions in another post, these liquid to liquid heat exchangers also heat up the oil when it's cooler than the coolant temperature, aiding warmup.

Reply to
Mike F