'93 850 oil leak / clutch replacement

just recently this 1993 850 manual 5 speed, with 160k miles on it, has started leaking oil. I checked closely and it seems to be coming from a slot between the engine and the clutch housing on the drivers' side. Any ideas what it could be?

It also needs a clutch. How dificult is it to do far a good home garage mechanic? How much time should it take and any special tools needed?

thanks, \bobz

Reply to
RAZ

Rear main seal most likely.

I've done clutches on RWD cars and that's not too hard, never tried on a FWD Volvo though so I can't answer that one.

Reply to
James Sweet

Unless you have a lift in your home this job is very difficult to perform you have to support the motor lower the sub frame remove both axles then remove the transmission not to easy on your back it is not a great job to perform with the car raised up on the lift. The total labor charge vary s from dealer to dealer we charge 8 hours @ $105.00 a hour the rear main seal costs about $20.00 the clutch disc & pressure plate are approximatively $100.00 Glenn Volvo Certified Technician ASE Certified Technician

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Glen,

Thanks for the reply. I thought that it might come out from the top. I'm capable but not willing to do it on my back.

I guess I'll have to start looking around to get quotes.

BobZ

Reply to
RAZ

Bob, Glenn's advice is certainly sound. His labor rate , however, is symptomatic of why GENUWINE Volvo service is out of sight. MANY knowledgeable mechanics can do this work and will do so for half the labor rate or a tad more. This is not work which can only be done by Volvo techs.

My advice: shop around for a registered ASE mechanic who is familiar with Volvos. Your wallet will thank you.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
c.fiedler

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Here in Lower Austria I can recommend one which I have been lucky to have here in the little village where I have my condominion. A guy who has been working at different genuine services, probably the longest period at a Volvo service, and opened his own one man repair shop and repairs all brands at an affordable price. He likes his work, is interested, gives economically sound advice. One has to book ahead usually 2-3 weeks. If I had not known him, I probably never would have dared to buy a Volvo.

But I assume that Bob is living somewhere very distant from this garage ;-)

Regards, Viktor

The e-mail in the header is never read personal e-mail vikwei at gmx dot at

Reply to
viktor weisshaeupl