Mystery oil consumption - 2002 Highlander V6

I have a 2002 Toyota Highlander V6 with 130,000 miles which had exhibited negligible oil consumption between oil changes -- that is, until about a month ago.

Just as I was arriving home from work, I saw the low oil pressure light blip on for a moment. When I checked the oil level, I found almost nothing was showing on the dipstick!

I refilled it to the full line and have been monitoring it every few days, checking it first thing in the morning before starting to make it easy to see the oil on the dipstick.

It is using about 1 quart of oil (Mobil 1 synthetic - I've used synthetic oil since the 10,000 mile mark) every 5,000 miles now after using nothing during the first 120,000 miles. There are no visible leaks, and I don't see anything unusual with the exhaust to show oil consumption.

Any idea where the 1 quart of oil every 5,000 miles is going?

Bud H

Reply to
Bud H

So much for Mobil 1. Looks like it was a waste of money...

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Into one or more of the cylinders WBMG

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

you say you have 120,000 miles on the it. one qt every 5000 miles is nouthing to worry about.you are proubly not going to see any blue smoke at that rate.just drive it and make sure you keep an eye on it.some brand new cars (not toyotas) might burn that much in 5000 miles. if you are changing it every 5000 miles that is about right.

Reply to
Dave Dave

[snip]

Change from Mobil 1 to Straight 30 Weight for 30,000 miles, the striaght weight will re-seal the heads with the usual goo, allowing you to go back to using Mobil 1 for another 130,000 miles. (Change the oil filter when appropriate)

Reply to
William Hayes