850 not starting from Volvo-challenged newbie

'93 850GLT purchased 4 months ago has been great.

One morning engine would turn over but not start. Tried to start several times then made arrangements to tow into shop. Next morning, gave it one more try. Kazaam! starts up fine.

Runs fine for three weeks.

Day before yesterday, again engine turns over but will not light up. Two days pass, much grieving, towing arrangements made. This morning Kazaam! Car starts up again. I am happy yet perplexed.

Any Volvo gurus out there have any ideas?

The gas tank did get low the night before Fuses are good I have read one possibility about fuel pump relays (there are 2) (?)

Another was that if the radio and blower cut out occasionally, (and they do), it could be the "j-switches" located under the fuse box cover.

If anyone has any input here it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

Reply to
emmit

Camshaft position sensor?

Fuel pump/relay....If you turn on the ignition, you should hear the fuel pump whirr for six seconds before cutting out if you don't start the car..best heard with drivers door open. If you don't hear the pump, then check the fuel pump relay ...also check there should be fuel reaching the injector manifold.

Reply to
Conrad Edwards

I had the same problem a few times with my '93 850. I learned that they will do this AFTER they are started and abruptly shut down before any opportunity to warm up. In my case, this would be after I backed a cold car out of the garage into the driveway to be washed. The only fix for me was to continue to crank the engine until it stumbled and FINALLY started. Something to do with a sensor not getting a chance to set or reset.

This happened not every time to be sure, more like twice in the 8 years we had the car.

Reply to
In Vancouver

In article , snipped-for-privacy@sorry.com by In Vancouver dropped his wrench, scratched his head and mumbled,

On the non turbo engines the "fix" was to use the multi electrode plugs to help overcome the fuel mapping problem on cold start/stop/short wait/start cycles.

Bob

Reply to
volvowrench

Some people say that's due to valves sticking open, or the fuel management ecu thinking it needs a rich mixture to start and flooding the engine. I believe the three pronged plugs were introduced to help stop this happening? I had this once when I started the engine and turned it off immediately..took about 8 goes to start again. If I run a few yards I usually rev the engine a little, and the problem's never reoccurred.

Reply to
Conrad Edwards

I had an '93 850GLT that a couple times would not start but would turn over. I assumed that the computer was confused and shut the key completely off and waited a couple seconds. Then tried again. In all cases it would start.

Another common problem in all older cars is a bad ignition switch. It may provide power to the starter but not to the ignition. Usually a new ignition switch is required. This is more common if you or the previous owners had a heavy set of keys.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Reply to
JD Gibson