850 seems to want accelarate by itself a la Audie 5000

Last week I was stopped at a trafficlight and suddenly I felt the engine increase it's RPM's without stepping on the accelerator. teh car left the impression wanting to take of by itself

Stepped on the brake even harder and switched the engine off. During the time the CHECK ENGINE light came on and it is still on. Re-started the engine and it was OK.

Read in the manuel what to do about the Check Engine light and plan to address that. Today my wife had the same experience in the same 1996 850 (none-turbo).

What is the problem with my car? What can I expect.?

We are the only owners the vehicle has known.

Reply to
J. v. Dijk

My 850 (1993 GLT) does a similar thing......The rev counter will show high revs although the engine is only ticking over, This can be disconcerting as sometimes due to surrounding noise you can't hear the engine. My car has only done this while stationary on tickover. AFAIK the rev counter reads correctly while the car is in motion. This did also effect the other instruments as well, as the speedo, petrol, temp dials were also doing a dance at the same time. The car has done this twice in the five years I owned it. No fault codes to indicate what it was/is

ttfn......Alisatir

Reply to
Alistair Ross

Bad ground connection somewhere I would guess, start by checking the ground strap between the engine and the body.

Reply to
James Sweet