850 T5 outside temperature gauge problem

Hi, I got caught up in a traffic jam the other day and the outside temperature gauge started to go up and up till the gauge gave out a warning hi temp message. The water temp was fine and as the traffic cleared and we started to move the temp came back down to normal. Is this normal? Where does the probe take its reading from? Has anybody got any useful advice? My car is a 1994 850 T5 Automatic. Many thanks in advance. Dave.

Reply to
Hangonamo

The temperature sensor is mounted in one of the air intakes under the front bumper. On my '98 V70 there is one on the right side of the big central intake in the air guide that tucks into the bumper, and one on the left side that snaps into the smaller side intake. One is for the ambient temperature gauge, the other for the fuel injection air intake temperature. These can get dislodged and pick up heat from the engine compartment, especially when the car is not moving.

Reply to
Mike F

Reply to
Hangonamo

Hi Dave,

it must be the thermostatic sensor at the front of t he car!! ( 850 T5 and XC70 owner)

Reply to
bens0n