850 T5 turbo removal

How hard is it to pull the turbo on a 1995 850? It has the B5234T engine. The car has been using oil, about 1 qt/300 mi. I'm certain that oil is leaking into the compressor side of the turbo. I ascertained this by inspection yesterday. I pulled the pipe off between the turbo compressor outlet and the intercooler. There was oil all over the inside of the pipe, and it could be seen inside the compressor side of the turbo. It could be a plugged drain line, or bad seals requiring a rebuild, or ???. In any case, I need to further inspect and diagnose the problem. Thanks for any help you can provide.

-John Palkovic

Reply to
John Palkovic

Check if your intercooler has the oil seep hole in the bottom of it. If it does and its not leaving a pool of oil on the floor when parked, then the turbo ISNT leaking into the compressor side.

Could be into the exhaust side though, which is more common. If the cat is doing a good job, it will burn the oil so you wont get blue smoke trails though...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

To answer your question, changing the turbo is quite easy, but like the rear drive cars, nuts are often seized on the studs, so it's a good idea to heat the nuts up before attempting removal.

Lots of oil can get into the turbo through the PCV system - the PCV hose connects to the plastic hose just before the inlet of the turbo. You may need to replace the oil trap if it's too clogged - it lives under the intake manifold. This is not too hard to replace, but the intake manifold needs to be removed to change it, so it's a long job.

Reply to
Mike F