'86 240 harmonic balancer

Hello all, I have a question for those of you who have replaced the timing belt on a b230. I replaced the timing belt on mine today, along with the water pump. After I put the balancer back on and torqued on the bolt I cranked the enginge a bit and notice the balancer was wobbling about 1/16" from one side to the other. Could this be a problem with the key not being lined up right? Anybody have any ideas about getting the key lined up? I just eyeballed it. Do you think it sounds more like a bad damper. I'll go back tomorrow and pull the balancer again. Hopefully I won't fnd a messed up key.

Thanks, Colin Kenny

Reply to
<kennys

Yes, the keys are probably not lined up, or the timing belt pulley is on backwards. Either will cause the harmonic balancer to wobble. Absolutely don't start the engine until this is fixed. The keys which are part of the castings may break off (or may have already).

Reply to
Mike F

We had a promlem with them on some years, it problaby won't cause any trouble but replace it if it will make you feel better.You could have gotten some dirt or debris between the pully and the crank that could cause it to wobble.

Reply to
Rod Gray