87 740GLC Overdrive

I just purchased a 87 740 wagon, automatic shift. The button on the side of the shift lever does nothing. I get no shift and no indicator light. Otherwise the the transmission works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ed in Pittsburgh

Reply to
ATT

With auto trans, the overdrive is ON by default.

Button on shift lever is to lock out the overdrive function. When pushed, light in dash should come on. If no light, maybe, dash light is burned out or fuse is burned out.

Trans should shift near 10, 20, 30 then into overdrive about 40.

Without light and fuse is good, bad relay.

Duane

Reply to
Duane

zencraps