88 Turbo No Start - Help

Had to tow my son's '88 740 Turbo wagon home last week (157k miles) .

Car died at gas station. It ran fine until fill up and then very rough after fill up. Then no start at all.

Now at home, car cranks and appears to fire, but on release of starter, it will not continue to run.

The car fires when the starter engages, and sometimes runs (well) for a few seconds after release of starter, hence problem is probably not bad gas or ignition.

Also, I jumped the ground on the fuel pump (under driver foot well on charge air overpressure switch). This caused the fuel pump to run continuously, but engine still would not run after release of starter. Hence probably not the fuel pump relay.

So what else? Mass air sensor, computer, ??

Thanks.

John S.

Reply to
John S

[ ... ]

Check all the sensors associated with the fuel injection system. My

145 died recently while driving and exhibited the same symptoms; it turned out to be a wire that pulled loose from the temperature senson.

I suspect you have a similar loose wire, or with an '88, possibly biodegradable wiring harness shorting out.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

how about filthy fuel have seen the results not nice cheap fuel from a suspect station .The car I saw a 240 was unable to run after a fill up it has so much muck in the fuel had to be towed and the gas fuel was a slimy mess of water and some grey stuff and fuel ,we had it in a bottle .

Reply to
John Robertson