'88 740 Turbo Wag: Best Manual

Had to tow my son's '88 740 Turbo wagon home this week (157k miles) .

Car died at gas station. It ran fine until fill up and then very rough after fill up. Then no start at all.

Now at home, car cranks and appears to fire, but on release of starter, it will not contine to run. Thus ignition is good. Appears not to get gas.

Two Questions:

1) Are there any typical failures to look for in this category? Relays, grounds, air mass sensor (but a fine wire break might trigger a limp mode?), computer, ...?

2) What would be the best manual : Bentley Volvo 240 (does it cover the 740?) or a Volvo electrical manual ? Am not familiar with this car and where the various parts are located. My son's Haynes book is not detailed enough. Need to known the circuits and where the components are located.

Thanks.

John S.

Reply to
John S

how about the fuel was it ok as here we have had problems with imported fuel sold at discount prices .The owners have not made it off the driveway of the service station or gas station .When pulled down the fuel was a murky mess of water and sludge with some fuel as well .After dollars spent cleaning the system out it ran well .

Reply to
John Robertson

Have an '87 740 turbo and from what you've described, I suspect the fuel pump relay has failed. It's simple plug-in replacement made under the hood.

Good luck,

Tom F

Reply to
tefgaf