89 740GL Died on highway....

Driving down highway today when suddenly the "check" engine light came on. Then noticed car was not accelerating when i had my food down on the gas. The RPM was beginning to drop and then all the lights on my dash came on, indicating the engine had died. Pulled over to the side, put it back in "P" and cranked over fine and then drove off again.

The "Check" engine light remained on, but then went back off a few hours later. Any idea of where to look first? (Fuel injection?). This is the first time it happend. It's an 89 740 GL, with 170,000 KM on it (not miles)

Frank Vancouver, BC

Reply to
fl

Fuel pump ??

The same happened to me while driving my 850. The car cranked fine but no fuel pressure at all. The pump was replaced and all was well again.

Kirth

Reply to
Kirth Gersen

In tank pump. Replaced mines on my '89 240 and 'that' problem was gone. Do it yourself, it's real easy and the part is about 35.00 I believe.

Cheers, Hector

Reply to
Ecomoda

First check the codes. Even though the light is off, there will still be a code. Instructions at:

Mike F

Reply to
AAlexander

AAlexander sez:

Took the words right out of my mouth. If yours is the original part, it's due for replacement. The fact that you can wait a few minutes and everything is fine is a pretty sure sign. I just went through the same thing.

Reply to
Hi-Fi

Left-most relay in middle row of relays behind fuses.

Cheers, Peter.

: > The "Check" engine light remained on, but then went back off a few hours : > later. Any idea of where to look first? (Fuel injection?). This is the : > first time it happend. It's an 89 740 GL, with 170,000 KM on it (not : miles) : >

: > Frank : > Vancouver, BC : >

: >

: :

Reply to