'89 940 GL Engine Surging

Hi: I hope someone can offer assistance, I checked brickboard and this group for previous posts with no avail. This Volvo has been in the family since new, now Grandmother drives it. Its has 130,000 mi, and has a less than impressive problem history, despite faithfully following the mainatence inteval recommendations. This morning she drove the car to church, no problem noticed. A few hours later, we get in the car and it has difficulty starting. Finally she gets it started, and it idles fine and smoothly. Give it a little throttle, however, and the motor 'pulses' at a regular interval. We took it around the block as a test, the pulsing remained constant, as did the smooth idle. It would pulse to the same RPM, no matter how much pressure was applied to the throttle or if the transmission was in park, neutral, or drive. With the a/c on or off, same thing. We could not go more than 5 or 8 MPH. It is not a turbo engine, and we are in Pennsylvania, todays temp is in the

60's. Any ideas what to look for would be appreciated. We may be taking it to the dealer, but would like some idea what could be wrong before we take it.

Thanks, Mark in Harrisburg

Reply to
Sprinter

Sprinter