Chevy 5 speed

does anyone know of a site to order a transmission for chevy vehicles that are hmm how do i say this, uh priced for people who have a meger salary but
just want a transmission that works! i have tried going to my local chevy dealer but to pay 5 grand is like out of the question for about mm 3 years? mine is a 85 if that helps but i would like to put in a modern 5 speed in it and right now ebay doesn't really have any as of yet
what engine do you have first of all.

but
it
5.7 V8

that
out
in
William,
Have you tried your local junkyard? That would be my first stop. You may try www.phoenixhardparts.com , but I don't think they carry any trannys older than '88 for GM trucks.
Kyle

salary
junkyards? well here's a question would a V8 camro tranny work in a pickup? cause that is the only one i have found in 8 months of searching and it maybe gone before i have the money i say maybe cause the car it was in was wrecked in the but real bad and i guess people didn't think to just cut the driveshaft out and it would be easy to get out

vehicles
like
speed
are you going auto to manual or replacing a saginaw 3 or 4 speed? you can use a 5 sp out of pretty much any year chevy/gmc that had one. the one to look for would be a NV4500 out of a '93 or later c/k truck (hell, you can actually use a NV4500 out of a Dodge pickup with some minor adapting). the earlier Getrag's will work but aren't as durable. go to www.advanceadapters.com they pretty much can tell you what can be used with what.
HTH, Bret

well i HAD a 700R4 auto in my 85 burb but i switched to a 4 speed against my will...long story...anyway right now it is a 4 speed with a very high first gear and i am almost certain that is because it is from a diesel truck which i think is causeing that cause diesel don't turn high RPM's or so i am told so i need like a regular gasoline tranny and preferably a 5 speed

is
well, there are no "gas" or "diesel" manual trannies (autos are governed differently for the lower RPM limits of a diesel). you're looking for a creeper 4 speed or a 5 speed then, right? if you want a 4 speed, look for a SM465 or an SM420 (can be found in any of the big 3 from the late 40's to the late 80's from 3/4 tons to 5 ton medium duty trucks). otherwise, a getrag 5 speed was in the '87-92 trucks and the NV4500 was found in '93 up trucks. the earlier NV4500's have a lower 1st gear. basically,mount the 5 speed, move the tranny mount to where it has to be, bolt it in (drilling if necessary). then get a driveshaft made ( or call a junkyard and see if they know of a driveshaft that'll work.)
HTH, Bret

meger
5
i am gonna get a 5 speed cause i plan to and i know it isn't adviseable but i am planning to pull my racecar trailer with it so i think a 5 speed is the answer plus the truck is getting old looking and i don't wanna put too much money in it just wanna get it running good so least someone might buy it the way it is now i am the only one who knows how to shift it when i went to get it inspected the guy asked me how to shift it and i said it's 4 speed thinking that was all he needed to know
come to find out later he tried to put it in 5th and it was reverse which still baffles me cause 4th and reverse are at the opposites ends of the shifter and you kinda have to yank it over to reverse so i don't what he was thinking

grand
modern
oh i forgot to mention there is no such thing as a manual transmission in the junkyard least not the kind where you pull it out yourself i mean these guys make there money on going to junkyards when they see a new vehicle in and rip out a 4 or 5 speed and sell it to a tranny shop and get like 350 bucks for it so no truck in any junkyard for 500 miles has one i mean i was lucky to see that camaro with a 4 speed which isn't what i want but if it has a lower 1st gear i would take it
oh anyone think rearend gear has anything to do with the way it goes cause my rearend gear is a 2.93 i believe i will have to check again

grand
modern
perhaps where you live it is that way, but here in Maine, most trucks still have the trannies in them, esp the big C60s and similar. the local tranny shops around here don't buy cores unless it's a really rare tranny or a brand spanking new design, otherwise they're got piles off them in the back of the shop.
the rear end gear has everything to do with the trucks performance. a super high gear like a 2.73 won't be able to haul more than a ream of paper or tow said ream on a roller skate. swaping to a 3.73 or a 4.10 will make a world of difference esp since you plan on towing with it.
-Bret

chevy

vehicles
like
speed
The getrags are descent trannys but they are light duty. I tow a car trailer and a boat trailer from time to time and so far it hasn't blown. course I think my little v6 is about to commit suicide on me for the last load I towed. A 7400 lb harvester on a goose neck behind a 1500 gmc with the v6 is the wrong thing to tow. You can find the getrags in some junkyards since there aren't many people who want to rebuild them. I know of 3 that people are trying to find someone rebuild so they don't have to give up their first born for a new tranny.

i have looked in junkyards trust me

is