92 740 No start....

I drove my 92 740 home yesterday and parked in the driveway. Today no start.... It appears that there is no spark in the ignition system. Tested all the components (wires/cap/coil) on another 740 and they all work great, but not in mine. What could this be? Any hints would be helpful.

Reply to
Bjorn Sunde

The usual problem is the ignition power stage, I think this year has one, it's mounted to the inner fender near the left-front corner of the car. Small block that says Bosch on it screwed to an aluminum heatsink.

Reply to
James Sweet

I switched it for one that I know was good (came off a car that runs) and put mine in the other car. The other car still starts, mine no go..

Reply to
Bjorn Sunde

I suppose the next thing to test is the crank angle sensor, there's not much else to the system and this car is new enough that the engine wiring shouldn't be crumbly like the pre '88 cars.

Reply to
James Sweet

Where is it located on this car?

Reply to
Bjorn Sunde

Found it.. Located on the back of the engine, above the flywheel. I was going to test it, but after wiggeling the wires while tracing it to the connector the car started. Must be a bad connection where the wires go into the sensor. Thanks for your help James.

Reply to
Bjorn Sunde