940 Distributor leaky

I have a problem on a 1996 940 GLE Estate where the distributor on the back on the head is leaking alot of oil. My own 1995 car leaks a bit and I had priced a replacement, but this car has had a gunked up engine through no oil changes. Its all clear now but it has done alot of damage including the expensive distributor.

Volvo want GBP180+ for a new distributor (base plate thing), can it be refurbished or repaired? Eurocarparts can't supply it, and one local alternator/starter repair company didn't do distributors.

I'd even be interested in a distributorless conversion as even my 1995 car hesitates a bit (except for a few miles after the cap has been cleaned of oil), but can't find anything on the market. If could find the time and necessary technical info I would consider tring to design it myself. The microprocessor side is easy enough, but I don't know how to deal with spark energies, coils specs etc, aas this would have to be designed from scratch if using 4 coils instead of 1. I think you just need to demuliplex the spark trigger to 4 coils, based on the Crank sensor, and then block off the hole using the plastic plug used in the cars with the intermediate shaft disty.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

The oil seal inside the distributor is available from many aftermarket and internet sources over here. And there are instructions on the brickboard.

This is a Canada only site, but I'm sure this is available a little closer to your neck of the woods.

The seal is also available separately, without the 2 orings.

Reply to
Mike F

Brilliant, as ever the oracle on 940s. I didn't think that was possible, it looked like some sort of metal seal because I couldn't see it.

No signs here of kit suppliers but Volvoclub had a full description of the spec and procedure, even tools and how to source seals. So I have ordered 2 seals (1 for each car) on specification from a local bearing stockist.

12idx20odx5mmT rubber coated double lip seals (£1.80 each).

Hopefully I can get the O rings from Volvo.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony