95 850 fan stopped working - please help

Hi all, I did not realize until recently (this morning) that the flashing lights on the recirculation and air conditioning switches on my 95 850 turbo wagon's dash were trying to tell me something. When I took the kids to school today and the fan didn't turn on to defrost the windows (we're in South Dakota, so it's cold), I realized I had a problem. The code flashing has been happening for months. I grabbed my Haynes manual, ran the diagnostics, and the following codes came up:

211 - Driver's side damper motor position sensor open circuit or shorted to 12 volts

325 - recirculation damper motor active too long

411 - blower fan seized or drawing excessive current

414 - driver's side interior temperature sensor inlet fan seized

417 - passenger's side interior temperature inlet fan seized

Everything seemed to work fine (other than a little squealing, periodically, coming from the passenger side near the glovebox), but this morning, no fan. I tried the fuses first, of course, but knew right away that it wasn't going to help.

There is no local Volvo dealer; one "import shop" can't look at it until a week from Monday. I'm desperate. Would you recommend swapping out the blower fan motor, or is that just a stop-gap for some bigger problem?

I would just put in a new blower motor, but since the codes started long before the fan quit working, it makes me think there's some other wiring problem. The car generally doesn't have significant corrosion.

Thank you all! I've learned a lot about my car from this ng.

South Dakota Tom snipped-for-privacy@qwest.net snipped-for-privacy@sio.midco.net

Reply to
Tom Keller

For what ever reason you do have some wiring issues with the doors that are reporting slow movement, but the only code of significance is the

411, blower overload. Combine that with the bearing squeal and you have enough reason to change the blower motor. The trickiest part is getting the hinge straps to release in the glove box door so you can access the lower screws to remove the glove box. If it has a passenger side air bag be careful of the orange harness and wires. When reassembling be careful that they are not pinched and are located as they were originally. You need a handful of wire tires to resecure the wiring in the wire traces. You have to cut the originals to get room enough to pull the motor out of the housing. Just a bunch of torx screws. The screwdriver and bits should be in the toolkit that came with the car.

Bob

Reply to
radietz

In addition, the 414 and 417 codes can usually be fixed by cleaning the dust out of the intakes. These are located up on the roof near the grab handles.

Reply to
Mike F