'96 850 Wagon - cleaning/restoring door handles?

I recently used "Mother's Black Again" on my bumpers to restore them to a much better condition. They are dark-grey/black again and uniform in color.

I tried it on the black trim piece above the license plate on the tailgate, but it didn't seem to do any good. I didn't try it on the door handles since it looks like the same material.

Any suggests?

Now that the bumbers and other door trim is dark again, the light grey (faded?) door handles look even worse. :(

Reply to
Atif I. Chaudhry

Interesting- I just (like four days ago) did EXACTLY the same thing with the same product (it is called "Back to Black" I believe). It did work quite well on the bumper trim, the black rubber side trim, and the black valence(?) below the bumpers. it worked OK on the door handles and the trim over the license plate but not as well as on the other surfaces as you stated. I think the trick it to rub and rub and rub n those troublesome areas. it will be interesting to hear if anyone has anything better. __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

Did the same last weekend as well. It doesn't work because the handles are a different material. Some kind of plastic or powder coat over metal handle. So the Back to Black doens not work on it. Rub it all you want, once it dries it will look the same.

From what i've read on some forums, only alternative might be the stronger trim dyes (i.e Forever Black) or possibly paint.

Hope this helps, Mike

Reply to
M L

MAGIC MARKER!

;-)

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

Seriously?

I just detailed my '96 volvo and it looks nice. The door handles are now even more of an eyesore...but I can put up with it until I figure out something that works. I honestly like the idea of a marker because it is easy to apply, and easy to keep around. The idea of dying/painting the handles gives me visions of spilled dye/paint on the car or on me!

Reply to
Atif I. Chaudhry

I have used them on small parts, and little chips just so I don't have to look at them- like the black painted chrome trim around windows on some cars.

You could try it on the underside of one handle to see how it works and how long it lasts. maybe one of the Sharpie industrial markers would be better. get some Scotch painter's tape to protect the surrounding bits.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

Hm..I'll give it a try and let you know...

Reply to
Atif I. Chaudhry

A friend of mine that keeps his cars pretty clean looking suggested this, it's a bit of work, but I am going to try it on my "new" 99 S 80 with LOTS of black trim.

He said he uses rubbing compound, the type you use for cleaning oxidation off of auto paint. { In the US, "Dupont #7" comes to mind}

It's a 2 step process.

  1. Use the rubbing compoound first, to buff/polish the black trim.

  1. You will now have a white glaze on the trim, from the rubbing compound. Now use a cleaner/degreaser to remove the rubbing compound residue. He suggested a citrus based cleaner, the orange cleaners you see everywhere now. And he uses a stiff nylon brush to clean that off.

I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS YET, although I will this weekend to see if it works.

It makes sense, though; the sun has oxidized the outer black surface, so the rubbing compound should remove that top layer that's gone dull. Of course, the black surface is more porous than auto paint, so the cleanup of the rubbing compound is necessary to get "back to the black", so to speak..

I have used the moist towlettes saturated with liquid, I think they are called "Back To Black" by Turtle Wax , and it looks great after using them. For about 1 day.

The Florida sun is brutal on auto finishes, and especially black trim. It's a constant battle for those of us who do it ourselves.....

Reply to
vinran1