Fading Door Handles

I just got my '03 9.3 Sport Sedan in July, I am loving it even more than my '97 900, and nothing whatsover has gone wrong with the performance; I have one minor gripe-the black door handles have faded to a chalky grey. While this of course does not affect the drive, it looks quite shoddy on a new car. Is this common? Is there a good fix for it besides smearing that gooey black stuff on every couple of weeks?

Reply to
Verizon Mail

Don't use any black stuff. Use Simonez Cockpit Cleaner. Yes, I know it is meant for the interior, but it works wonders for exterior plastic trim. Eventually, it washes off, but normally last a couple of months.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Reply to
Viggen

I don't think wax is a good idea, it may be sticky. The stuff I mentioned, Simonez cockpit cleaner - or is it cockpit shine, is silicone based and once dried, it won't stick on hands. Quick to apply with the spay can.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

I think he meant that the problem could have been caused by unwanted wax on the handle. He was not suggesting that more wax was a remedy.

powerwasher to

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

ARRRGH! Be very careful if you do this. Power wash can mar or remove the paint. I have heard that peanut oil removes traces of wax in the plastic. I use 'back to black' to keep my black bits black. There is other stuff, but steer clear of Armor all and other products that use silicone. Silicone seals plastic and allows it to dry out. This further causes greying of the black.

Reply to
KeithG

powerwasher to

Reply to
Verizon Mail

This is a GM problem. GF had a Corsa B, silver with body coloured bumpers, black handles and arch trims. It was less than 3 years old, and yet faded to a speckley, uneven grey that was almost body coloured in places and just looked dirty in others. No amount of bumper/trim blacking would tart it up for more than 24hours, even with repeated application.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Reply to
Verizon Mail

A tip if you're in the UK. You can pick up a can of "Smart Shine" by Autoworks for 1 GBP at the Poundland shops. Does virtually the same thing as the expensive branded stuff.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen