'99 v70R AWD foggy windows

I picked up a nice v70R AWD a couple of months ago and now that it's getting cold in the morning I'm having a trouble with foggy windows. The *right* side of the windshield and passenger doors fog up when the heater is on. If the AC is turned on it defrost mode it clears it up. There is also a bit of a funny smell that I associate with using the heater. It doesn't exactly smell like coolant so I'm hoping there is another explanation than a leaky heating coil in the climate control. I'm not looking forward to the 12hr job pulling the dash apart if that's the case.

Maybe I'll be lucky and the drain is plugged for the right side. Where is it and how can it be cleaned out? Anything else to check before tearing the dash open?

-K

Reply to
Kelsey Cummings

I would strongly suspect a leaking heater core, what's the smell smell like?

Reply to
James Sweet

It is the heater core that is causing your problem it is not a 12 hour job the dashboard does not get removed @ most 3 hours Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Klein

It's hard to describe. Waxy. Not what I think of colant smelling like. Sounds like I should investigate the heater core though... I read it was a massive job somewhere and that the whole dash had to be dissambled. Glad to hear it's only a 3hr job.

-K

Reply to
Kelsey Cummings

It really depends on the car, in some it truly is a massive job, in others it's not so bad. It's never easy though.

The fog pretty much gives it away, remember also that the coolant may mix with other stuff when it leaks which can make it smell different.

Reply to
James Sweet

When the air outside is cold, DON'T use recirculate. Even cold foggy outside air is dryer than the warm inside air and letting outside air come in will eliminate the fogging problem.

When the outside air is not cold, you must use the AC when the defrost is on. This is normal. The AC will dehumidify the air.

This can be caused by shutting the car off with the AC on. Volvo's solution on newer models is to have the AC/heater fan kick on after the water has drained out of the AC housing. They do have sprays they can use to eliminate the smell. They are anti-fungal sprays.

This is also a problem. You usually get water on the passenger floor mat and sometimes the passengers legs when the drain is plugged. Usually the dealer can put it on a lift and clear it in a couple seconds. I haven't figured out where it is.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

But he said only the vent on the right side is fogging the windows, I suppose there could be another explanation but it sure sounds like a heater core to me.

Reply to
James Sweet

It sounds like a loose duct hose to me. The heater core leak should affect the entire cabin.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

It's not that there isn't airflow, just that the airflow is obviously very humid on the right side. It's probably is a leaky core. I was worried about the misinformation I'd picked up that it was a 12hr job otherwise I'd have already opened it up.

-K

Reply to
Kelsey Cummings
Reply to
Bob(but not THAT Bob)

Mine was worse on one side too, but definitely was the core - I think it's the dual climate control that causes uneven fogging.

Reply to
Bob(but not THAT Bob)