aluminum heater core stinks

Is there some sort of smell associated with aluminum when it gets hot? I changed out my leaky brass heater core for a new aluminum one. There is still a little coolant smell, but when the new core gets up to heating temp, it really throws out a bad odor that is hard to discribe. It isnt fungus in the climate box. It doesnt smell with a cold engine or with the heat valve closed. What do I have here?

Reply to
Thater

The aluminum does not smell, but if they left some oil or there contaminate on it, that could be a problem. Why do you rule out a problem in the heater box? Lots of things can get in there. Some try to take up residence there.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

At one time the new VW cores had a protective coating that would take time to melt(?) off. But then again you didn't say what kind of car/truck you own.

Reply to
Woodchuck

sorry, it is a 1982 VW rabbit pickup, 1.7 CIS, with AC. I cut a hole in the climate box, pulled out the old core and slid the Aluminum one in. Is there some kind of stuff that I should use to clean the new core? It is an awful smell. I would almost associate it with melting plastic. Is that possible? And why is it so hard to seal up the connection between coolant hoses and the core. I always get leaks there. Also, I have been supecting that my head gasket is gone and therefore could be pressurizing the cooling system. Should you always get a big fizzing burst of gasses when opening the resivior? It is also hard to start in morning, sputters and misses, and smoke pretty good. There is a good coolant slick under my truck. Should I retorq the head? If I do, do I need to replace the valve cover gasket? It is not old. What can be done with a warped head, say if mine was found to be warped? Can they be ground down?

Reply to
Thater

Did you make this cut from the interior of the car or from the engine compartment? If from the engine compartment, you could be drawing in engine fumes.

That could be a problem, and it would answer your question about coolant hose and the core leaks.

It sure sounds like you may have a head problem. Don't start with the fix however. Have the head tested. Then you will know and know what to work on instead of guessing.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I had a blown valve steam seals on my jetta....i took the head off and took it to a machine shop. They cleaned the head up, and shavved the bottom to be flat. They also installed the new valves with all the new seals. So, if its warmed it can be fixed....to a point. If you do have a head problem (gets seriously involved) call a few local machine shops and see if they would machine it and replace everything for you makes it real nice and conveinent. Or just go to a car shop get it fixed as well. If you do take it apart, be sure to make sure you untighten, and tighten the head bolts in the correct order and torque or you'll warp the head.

Right now i have a 87 16v motor from a gti in my garage, which i was going to supe up, but ended up selling the gti i was going to put in. Fun stuff, but i'll get another gti, and put this bad boy in there :)

Reply to
<hatch