Break "Leaking" ?

Hi all, I have 96 Volvo 850 Wagon, Milage is about 87K. Starting from 6 months ago, the ABS light is On and OFF for no reason. After I checked the web, I realized it was a common "problem" for Volvo

850. For some people, they just ignore it. So did I.

But somehow, when I was driving my car this morning, I find something else that worries me. I was doing about 20-30 mph locally, and was trying to stop at a traffice light. When I stepped on the break, I felt something going on under the break step. The feeling is as if air is leaking from a ball, or a ballon. At the same time, the "ABS" light is turned on immediately. It lasted for less than a second. After that, I tried to step on the gas, break, gas, break... for several times, everything seems to work fine, except the "ABS" light is on. ?

Any suggestion what might be ?

Thanks a lot,

cji

Reply to
chunji08

Check the brake fluid level. If it is low, you probably have a leak. Another possiblity is that air got in the brake lines somehow, and needs ot be drained.

Reply to
Marvin

Sounds like a failed ABS module, and I would replace it with a new/rebuilt unit for sure.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Check out this website, lots of folks have reported good results from his repairs:

John Horner

How can I tell if ABS works or not ?

thanks,

cji

Reply to
chunji08

You could go find a wet road with lots of space, get up to 20 mph or so and slam on the brakes, if the ABS is working you should hear a chattering sound and the car should stop in a fairly straight line.

Reply to
James Sweet