A little Volvo 240 help?

Hi,

I have a 1978 240. The windshield wipers aren't working because the small grooved cylinders that the wiper mechanism attaches to are stripped. Every other part of the wiper system seems to work fine, and I'm not really sure how much I'll have to replace or where to go to get the necessary parts. Secondly, this car doesn't have OD and I was wondering if it's very expensive to have installed. Will I need an entirely new transmission? Lastly, are there reupholstery kits available for this car? If so, where can I find them? Thanks so much for your help.

-Jonah

Reply to
<janiekate

Same on the driver's side of my '85 765T. I'm not sure how it got started, but certainly using the wipers to try to move too much snow in the morning had a lot to do with it

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Fairly common problem, just go to a U-pull junkyard and get the wiper arms off of any 240.

Yes you'll need a whole transmission, driveshaft, and the associated wiring. I've gotten this stuff for as little as $75, but prices at wreckers vary wildly on this sort of stuff.

Not that I know of, but you can do it yourself if you have the skills, or have the seats reupholstered at a shop specializing in such things. I recommend checking the condition of the foam and rebuilding the seats mechanically before you do this though.

Reply to
James Sweet

heres a little help

drive it to the nearest dump, reverse it onto a large pile of landfill, liberally splash the car with accelerant, throw a match in, and catch a taxi home

Reply to
THREE HOLES

Everything that you need can be found at a wrecking yard. IPD has great seat cover sets but I found a complete set of charcoal front and rear seats from a '91 244 at a wrecking yard for $100. I took those and matching door panels from a '92 245 and dropped it all in my '74 144. Presto! An almost new interior for $150 and a little labor.

Reply to
b4_ford