'81 Volvo 240 Fuel Pump

Hi there. I was recently offered a 1981 240 wagon that has trouble starting, perhaps due to a fuel pump problem. I don't have too much experience working with cars, and I was wondering how long it would take me to replace the fuel pump and if the Haynes or Bently manuals would be helpful, which manual was better, and if you don't like either, what is suggested. Also, what's a resonable price for a fuel pump? thanks so much for the help.

-daniel

Reply to
Daniel

I can recommend the Bently manual as being a better manual.

I had to replace both fuel pumps in my 88 240, but I had a local, independent shop do it for me. The previous owner's mechanic didn't bother to change out the fuel filter at the 60k service.

Jeff Dantzler Seattle, WA

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

Had continuing faults with pumps failing within 12 months or so on model without in-tank pump. (Behind left hand rear wheel only). Always blamed the fuel. Wrong! Found protective coating on the inside of the fuel tank was slowly disintegrating and the minute particles killing the pump. Solution? Installation of a fuel filter prior to the pump (suction side). No more problems.

John Kangarilla, Australia

Reply to
John Withall

Do some diagnosis before you start replacing parts. Check the fuel pump relay first.

Reply to
James Sweet

How am I supposed to check the relay? I assume it's there... thanks

Reply to
Daniel

I've got an '83 that "never" has had a relay problem !! you might want to detail what the symptoms are, so we can better advise Herman '83 282 5.o H.O., formerly 242 Turbo intercooled

Reply to
Herman

You can easily pull the relay and jumper between the two contacts in the plug that have heavy wires going to them. Often if the relay is bad it'll have a physically darkened pin or melted plastic, of course this can mean the pump is about to fail too, but it can just be corrosion that causes it to heat up.

Reply to
James Sweet