Are there any headlight conversions for 1987 740 GLE?

Are there any retrofits, or semi-easy ways to convert my dual-rectangle headlights to the larger square or even large european style round?

Thanks! Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

You can do a nearly drop-in conversion to the large rectangular European lights, you have to replace the turn signal assemblies too, and change the connector on the headlight wiring but it isn't too hard to do and makes an incredible difference in the performance. I'll see if I can find a picture of my car and mail it to you.

You can also get E-code drop-in replacements for the quad rectangular sealed beams, I have those on my 240 and while they're not quite as good, they do work well and are immensely better than the stock lights.

Reply to
James Sweet

thanks james!

I'll have to Google 'E-code' replacements.

Reply to
Jamie

My Googling has revealed to me what E-Codes are and I have read several posts that say "A company in Germany sells them"

Would anyone have a name or URL of this company in Germany?

Danke (hope that's right), Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I've heard of the company too, though now I forget what it's called. I got mine from a guy in Finland who I found via this newsgroup, I'm not sure if he's still around though as it was several years ago. The set I got was used but in good condition and cleaned up nicely.

If you go the used route, make sure you get them from a country that drives on the right. Identical looking headlamps were used in England, Australia, Japan, and other countries that drive on the left but those will have the wrong beam pattern and are dangerous to use on US roads.

Reply to
James Sweet

Try IPD (

) they are still listed in latest catalogue.All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Peter, All I could find at IPD was OEM lights. I'll keep looking for the European Conversion lights. What I am looking for now is the E-Code assembly and I've read that supposedly a company in Germany will sell the complete kit, shipped for around $100.

???????

Thanks!

Reply to
Jamie

Jaime, This guy in Phoenix AZ did the ones on my car. I have the euro headlingts and side directionals. He wired it right up easy, was about

350.00 installed. He might be able to get the stuff for you. The shop is called Malefor international, 2518 N. 35th Ave, Phx, AZ 85009 Phone is 602.447.0651 The owner I think is Bo, cant remember for sure. Good luck, David
Reply to
NatureDudeME

Thanks! Nick Bauer at FCP Groton also says he has the glass E-Codes with plastic turning lights and a piece of moulding. Each side runs about $115 (light) $40 (turn signal) $15 (moulding). Or about $320 plus shipping for those parts.

I'll gladly call the shop in AZ or FCP Groton if that's the lowest price - but I think James had his shipped from Finland for about $260 and I've read others having theirs shipped from Germany for about $100.

I have a friend of my wife's who lives in Germany. I am going to e-mail him and see what he can get his hands on there. I'll let ya'll know what I find out and if ya'll find out the name of a seller in Germany - please let me know.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jamie