Best engine lubricate for an 850 with 115 K miles?

Hi all; My mechanic and I have been discussing what is the best way to slow down oil consumption on our 1995 850. Is it better to use a heavier oil say 20/50 rather than the 10/30 what has been used up to now OR is it better to put additives in with the 10/30? The whole idea is to slow down the consumption of motor oil with out harming the engine in any other way. Thanks for any and all ideas, Brad

Reply to
Mystical

Without knowing what the consumption is, and where you live (i.e. the ambient temperature), it will be difficult for someone here to give you advice.

Our 850 consumes about 0.5 quarts of oil with 5W30 (during the winter), and almost nothing with 10W30 in the summer. Very similar mileage. So a heavier oil may help you. Offhand, my recollection is that Volvo doesn't recommend anything heavier than 15-weight oil in this engine.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

consumption

I would look into the cause of the consumption, at that mileage it shouldn't really be using any significant amount. Is it leaking? If not it could be as simple as valve guides or a clogged crankcase vent.

Reply to
James Sweet

My '95 850 with 125k miles uses less than .5 qt every 10,000 miles. My '93 850 used about .6 qt every 10,000 miles at 180,000 miles. So oil consumption is not normal. I have had leaks a couple times, but the dealer always finds them and fixes them. I always service the flame trap religiously. I would not sacrifice the lubrication, but rather find the problem. Why sacrifice the engine to fix a leak? Oil is much cheaper than engines.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

In other cars I have used 20W 50 with no trouble, unless it's under 15f or so. The heavier oil is a better idea in my opinion then additives. Be aware that the heavy oil will not protect as well for the first few seconds a a 5 or 10w however.

consumption

Reply to
Steve

Hi, thanks for this guidance. I don't know all that much about engines so I am not sure why oil loss correction solutions depend on whether the problem is through valve guides or past the rings? Do you know if there are other items beside the flame trap, which I do not have, that can affect crank case venting such that extra oil loss occurs? The EGR valve has been mentioned. Are there other parts that need to be cleaned or changed? Thanks, Brad

Reply to
Mystical

try slick 50 it worked for me.

Reply to