Brake Light Keeps Going On And Off! Central Locking Not Working! Help!

I am having more problems with my car which is driving me mad it seems everyday something else breaks its really irritating I would appreciate some advice.

Today my brake warning light came on and I stopped checked the fluid level and it was fine and so switched my car back on and carried on driving and the light did not come back on... whats going on there? why would it come on and then go off?

Two weeks ago the light did the same thing, it came on and I stopped to check the fluid level and it was too dark to see anything so I turned the car back on and drove on till I found somewhere with lots of light

- the warning light did not come back on even though I did not touch the fluid level - when I did stop the fluid was low and I topped it up and I thought solved the problem so I am at a loss as to why it would come back on?

Obviously I don't want to lose my brakes and crash! If you remember from all my other problems with my car the ABS is not working properly and is being fixed - I am wondering if the light coming on has anything to do with EBD? And if so does that mean the brakes are fine just another safety feature is not working?

--------------------------------------

Anyway, after checking the fluid and seeing it was ok I locked my car - except the central locking would not work! it kept unlocking itself! I checked all the doors were closed (they were) and tried again still wouldn't work... although when I turned the engine on and used the central locking button on the inside of the car all the locks locked fine!? whats going on there?

In the end I had to lock my driver door by holding the key in so the lock wouldn't pop back up when the central locking tried to unlock itself and then lock all the other doors by opening the doors and pushing the locks down! What is going on with my locks? with my car? why can't it just work! It is so annoying!

Reply to
Spinstorm

I want to add the car is a 1998 Volvo S40 with 155,000 miles on it and that I wanted to add on the way home my alarm LED was red and stayed on

- it didn't flash just stayed red - until I pressed the unlock on the car alarm and then it went out!

I suppose maybe the alarm was activated but as the doors unlocked I didn't notice? But then if the alarm was on surely I wouldn't be able to drive the car?

Reply to
Spinstorm

On some Volvos the failure of the electrical portion of the ignition switch can cause all sorts of strange gremlins. Try wiggling the key while the symptoms are happening to see if you modulate the problem.

Reply to
John Horner