catalytic converter on V70 in NY

I'd like to know if someone can confirm what I'm being told from a muffler shop. I have a 98 V70 AWD.

The pipe that extends from the back of the catalytic converter broke off yesterday, due to rust. The estimate that I rec'd is that I need a new catalytic converter because in NY state, the law states that you cannot weld onto one and the cost is $1175 "for everything." He said that the rest of the system was solid, but the converter is special order and could be in in a few days.

Can anyone confirm the law?

Does the price seem common (western New York area)? I see on the net that I can get a converter from anywhere from $250 up, but there do seem to be details that I would not be able to account for, such as what other hardware may be necessary, the time to do the job, etc.

TIA, Dave

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

Started calling around ... another shop states $636 + tax for the same work, but they have not seen the car and they're right around the corner, so I'm going to take it there for an estimate in fairness.

Are there any specific questions I should ask or "after thoughts" that I should be aware of? I understand there is a cost, but I just want to do some due diligence.

TIA, Dave

Reply to
tom_sawyer70
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Just to follow up on the visit to the second shop ... they clarified that since there was no actual problem with the catalytic converter, there was no reason to replace it. They trimmed off the damaged end of the pipe, reconnected it, and after we paid about $40, we were back on the road ... quietly.

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

Thanks for the note ... I did not know aobut the warranty.

Reply to
tom_sawyer70
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^