changing brake lights

I have a 2003 V70 and both my brake lights are out. The service guy at the dealer says it's my lights, fairly common problem on my car and it'll be $40 to change them out. I found the bulbs at an auto parts store for $5 but my husband and I can't figure out how to change them. Are the covers just one large piece that pop out or is there some kind of latch or lever? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
peppermintgirl

Rather than sending the same question 4 times, how about looking in the Owner's manual?

Reply to
Roger Mills

It's a very simple process actually, but as the other poster mentioned it is explained very well in the owners manual. There is a small hatch in the left and right rear of the storage area. Simply open the hatch and open the plastic lamp holder. Please do refer to the owners manual however.

Reply to
Roadie

Or, do like I did and bust off the lens, trying to pry it off. Then get the manual and find out how wonderfully simple Volvo made it to change bulbs. I dread having to replace bulbs in girlfriendzilla's Jeep. Practically have to disassemble the body to get at them.

Reply to
clay

find out how wonderfully simple Volvo made it to

Try changing the main beam bulbs on a V70 - not so easy...

E.

Reply to
eastender

I just did it. I followed the manual since I couldn't see what was there. I had to look at the pictures in the manual and then do it by touch. It was surprising easy even though I was doing it by touch.

The brake lights are a little more difficult if your hand is too large to fit in the speaker cut out which is used for access.

For those that lost their owner's manual, they are available on line at:

Stephen Henning