Changing brake lights, and getting at the speakers in my '93 240

Howdy group!

My car is a 1993 240 Wagon (and I love it to death.)

I just bought a set of Infinity Reference's for my car. 5.25" components for the rear seats, and 5.25" 2-way's for my front. I can install the front ones fine, (the grills just pop off.) But how the heck do you get at the rear ones? My guess is that you have to take the door panel off and do it from there.. But thats a lot of work. Is there some trick?

Question two, my left rear brakelight is out. There appears to be two clips showing from the outside.. but I cant seem to get it off. I also cracked one of the clips :-/ Are you supposed to get at it from the inside? Are there any tricks?

Thanks a majillion,

-briankeys

Reply to
briankeys

Wonderful car, last of the 240's.

Are you sure the windows will open with the front speakers installed? There's very little clearance in 240 doors, one of my few nags about them. If the rear ones are mounted in the doors the grills should pop off those easily as well, but you may find it easier to do with the door panels removed, it takes all of 5 minutes to get the panel off, just unscrew the door lock pull, pop the trim bezel off the door latch, then pop out the caps and unscrew the interior door handle, then use a screwdriver (or ideally) a trim clip remover tool (looks somewhat like a 2 prong fork) to pop the clips out of the door being careful not to tear them out of the panel. Assembly is the reverse.

The tail lights are accessed from the interior, remove the clips and pop the side panel off for the passenger side, and the spare tire cover for the driver's side, reach back in and the sockets holding the bulbs twist counter clockwise and come completely out. The only externally accessed bulbs are for the license plate lights.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm not sure, but I have a pair of Pioneers in the front right now, and the Infinity's are only .3" bigger, or something like that. I'm sure its posget Csible to rig some way to have them stick out an extra .1 or .2 inch... It doesnt look like that order even shipped (from ebay). We'll see :)

But on the back, i dont know. I found out that the tweeter just pops out of the panel. And there are, what looks like little torex(sp?) screws deep in it.. hmmm

Ahhh.. That would explain it :) I'll play with that when I get a chance! With the liscense plate bulbs, the plastic holders dangle down for me. I'm going to just cauk it back into place with a silicon based cauk, I believe. Should be fine, right?

Thanks!

Reply to
briankeys

Tweeter? Hmm, I'm going off my memory of a '91 I worked on, or maybe it was a '90, must've been different than yours, the stock speakers in back were 4" in the doors.

Reply to
James Sweet

Ah. The stock speakers were two 5.25" 2-ways in the front, and seemingly

5.25" composites in the rear.

It looks a bit fishy, as the best speakers are in the rear, and the tweeter is positioned directly above the sub.

Oh well though.

Reply to
briankeys