Can a 740 run without in-tank pump?

TIA

Before I go pick it up at the shop...

Can a 740 run without an in-tank fuel pump?

I had my mechanic try to fix fuel gage. Despite me telling him to go in through the trunk floor access panel to check the pump connection he reached up from beneath car and broke cable to pump clean off .

His comment "well it started and I moved it out of the shop" "it's only for when the tank gets low"

He mentioned that the flange bolts on the pump were un-usable so I guess I'm not replacing the pump .

I have never seen a pump in situ but I believe harness is part of the pump looking at one at FCP Groton.

grrrrr

jimB

Reply to
jimb

see...

Mr. V

It will start and run, but it will not run well when the tank gets down to about half. On top of that, the main pump will fail much sooner without the pre-pump. He broke it, he should fix it. If he won't, find a new mechanic. I would do that anyway once this mess is over. I'm not sure what flange bolts he's talking about, the pump clips into a bracket on the pickup tube in the tank bung.

Reply to
James Sweet

Mechanic is side issue, he generally works out OK. Long history with him. He always makes good. Sometimes he does some strange things though.

Incredulous, I drove around a long block apparently with the residual fuel before I paid him. Went to start again and OOPS...

I have seen the top of the pump in the Haynes manual as the mechanic saw underneath car. The tank not plastic (different fitting) as some.

Unless I am mistaken, there are stud's coming out of the top of the fuel tank. The "bung" as you call it is the float sending unit with the fuel lines and the cable.

The bung has a circular flange that fits over the studs and is retained by nuts.

I have looked at some threads on brickboard and I do not believe it is the bunk nut variety. It is 1985 but may be early 1985.

The pump does seem to be clipped to the pickup tube.

If this is not the case, please advise. I am using someone else's eyes and hands so I have not seen it in person.

Question is...

Is there a separable connection to the unit or do the wires just pass through a bushing?

I think our old usenet friend Jamie might have done this fuel pump wiring repair on his beloved 740.

All this and my 740T is still screwed (see previous thread).

I own 5 POS vehicles and they're dropping like flies and winter is coming. Well, 740T is NOT a POS.

TIA

jimB

Reply to
jimb

Is your fuel system Bosch or Regina the Bosch system has 2 pumps 1 in the tank & 1 under the car the Regina system has 1 pump in the tank Glenn K

Reply to
Glenn K