Clutch

Hi -

I have a 1979 242DL with 54000 km's - the car has been stored, not started, or driven for the past 2 years - I've had to move the car to another storage location - upon starting, I cannot put the car in gear (manual transmission) - any idea what the problem could be? In addition, I may be looking for a buyer - the car is in excellent condition (2 dr., dk blue, 4 spd, AM/FM cassette, pwr brakes - no snow and very little rain - all original except for the rad) - pictures can be sent if you need -

Dennis

Reply to
Stokoe

This is a common problem on a car that has not been driven. All surfaces become dry and the transmission linkage becomes very stiff. However, your header of "Clutch" indicates some problem other than putting in gear. Which is it?

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

No problem putting it in gear when it's not running, though; right?

Your clutch is stuck to the flywheel. Roll it out onto the street, put it in first, start it, and drive it a bit, working the clutch pedal occasionally. If you're in a hurry, roll it a bit and stand on the brakes a couple of times, hard and quick.

After a bit, it'll break loose.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston