Code reset

Can you reset an error code if you leave the battery disconnected overnight or do you have to manually reset a code with the reader/
reset device?
I have a problem solved and car is running fine but the check engine light keeps popping up anyway.
Disconnecting the battery will only keep it off for a while.
THANKS
you can reset it only with an obd2 scan tool.
mkr5000 yazm:

THANKS.
It's typical then, when you do the battery disconnect that the ce light comes on after an "unspecified" time regardless, I'll assume.
I'll have to buy that code reader and do it right.
I'm in electronics, so I'm puzzled as to why there is some sort of "gray" area there when it comes to the reset.
In the digital world, it's generally yes or no.....on or off.

By the way, is the "Can bus" OBD2 reader a pretty good one? -- see them on Ebay.
Or ?
mkr5000 yazm:

afaik, older volvos (pre 2001 or 2002) employs ISO9141 protocol. Newer volvos use CANBUS. You should buy accordingly. I bought an multiprotocol (either canbus, iso, etc compatible usb can2 adapter. I works like a charm. (tested on 2000 S40, 2001 skoda octavia, 1998 passat etc.) Multiprotocol cables are a little bit expensive compared to single protocol ones, but I think multiprotocol is a better investment.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item20243536051
this is the item I have.