cold idle problem, 1993 245

My wife's new-to-her 1993 245 has shown a cold weather idling problem (e.g., around 0F). It lopes and surges while idling, dying frequently. This persists for a good half an hour or so, long after the engine has reached normal operating temperature, although the problem does get progressively less prominent as the engine warms up.

Thus far the injectors and O2 sensor have been replaced, and the idle control valve was replaced yesterday without fixing the problem. So obviously the source of the problem has not yet been identified. Suggestions are very much welcome!

Frankly I think the mechanics my wife uses are incompetent- nice guys, but this sort of repeated "we'll try this and see if that works" approach is their norm and gets very expensive. This isn't the first car of hers for which serial repairs seems to have been the strategy.

Thanks and a happy to you all!

Reply to
Tim McNamara

Hi Tim - here are my two guesses: a) a failing AMM, or b) a failing radio suppression relay (maybe all it needs is for the contacts to be cleaned).

Happy holidays, Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

The usual cause of cold idle problems is gunk in the throttle body, although it's just as well the idle air control valve was replaced. The throttle body can be cleaned on the engine, but removal to do it thoroughly is worth the modest labor. The idle passage on the bottom of the throttle body, where that big thumbscrew is supposed to adjust the bypass air around the throttle plate, is probably plugged solid.

Blame the Volvo alternative to PCV, where the crankcase vapors are recycled ahead of the throttle. It sucks a lot of mist-laden vapors through the throttle body. Question for the gurus: does Tim's '93 have a flame arrestor that needs to be cleaned regularly?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Yes I would certainly say look for a new mechanic, I'm surprised they

*replaced* the expensive idle control valve, usually it can be cleaned out with some carb cleaner and provide years more service. Injectors can be rebuilt inexpensively too. Has anyone cleaned the throttle body? I usually remove it and soak it in solvent on high mileage cars. Carb cleaner and a stiff toothbrush works ok too. Check for vacuum leaks too.
Reply to
James Sweet

Yep, it does, well it did, someone may have removed it but it should be there. Nice thing about the newer cars is it's up above the intake manifold where it's easy to get at.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks everybody, that gives us somewhere to start:

  1. Clean the throttle body
  2. Check idle control motor
  3. Check for vacuum leaks
  4. Check air mass meter
  5. Check flame arrestor
  6. Check radio suppression relay, if it exists.

Any other ideas will be welcome. I'll be out of town for the next 5 days. Happy holidays!

Reply to
Tim McNamara

Reply to
joseph amitrano

my 89 240 had a similar problem when i bought it and it turned out to be a valve out of adjustment, it had a new headgasket installed and the mechanic put the wrong adjustment shim in. mark

Reply to
Wstndboi38