IDLE PROBLEM

Does anyone know how to correct the idling problem mentioned by snipped-for-privacy@aol.comdeadspam (Tyedboyne)..I am having similar problems, i have a

22r in a 1990 truck,, with a 4 speed,,it cranks up fine,, but after it warms up it begins to idle really rough,, almost choing out at some points,, it is gradually getting worse,, ,, at tiem when this is happening ,, you can smell the gas pretty prominent ,,I have checked most of the vacuum lines,, but have came up empty ,, i also have tightened the carburator because it was loose,, but the problem still remains,,truck only has 141000 miles on it,, and I would hate to buy a new carburator for the thing if there was to be a simple problem,, any help would be gratefully appreciated

Jay

Reply to
kbwood2

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comdeadspam (Tyedboyne)..I am having similar problems, i have a 22r in a 1990 truck,, with a 4 speed,,it cranks up fine,, but after it warms up it begins to idle really rough,, almost choing out at some points,, it is gradually getting worse,, ,, at tiem when this is happening ,, you can smell the gas pretty prominent ,,I have checked most of the vacuum lines,, but have came up empty ,, i also have tightened the carburator because it was loose,, but the problem still remains,,truck only has 141000 miles on it,, and I would hate to buy a new carburator for the thing if there was to be a simple problem,, any help would be gratefully appreciated

Have you checked the stuff like spark plugs, distributor cap, distributor rotor, and spark plug wires? Sounds like maybe a combination of that stuff instead of the carburator..

Reply to
Celica Dude

If I had a carbureted truck, I would look at the following: Any thermal vacuum valves (like the one going to the EGR, if there is one). Vacuum leaks (spray around vacuum lines, joints with carb cleaner) Choke and any choke-like devices (get hold of a manual) Float level (there should be a little window on the front of the bowl) Mechanical fuel pump output (vapor lock) Thermal faults in the ignition circuit (sometimes the parts don't work right when they heat up). Carb (idle circuits plugged)

You don't need to buy a new carb unless somebody shoots it with a 45. You buy a rebuild kit, clean off the outside of the carb, take it off the car, drain out the gas (turn it over), take it in your house, and take it apart on the breakfast table. Take it slow, keep everything clean, study it. Find a good manual with a section on carbs -- it doesn't have to be a Toyota manual -- they all work pretty much hte same way. As long as the throttle isn't too loose*, you just clean it out, put in a new float, new gaskets, etc. I've only done it 3 times and I feel comfortable doing it. You may screw it up a bit (most likely by letting dirt in it), but if you're careful you'll be able to recover. Be sure to use good, square screwdrivers. By the way, some towns still have people who will do this for you.

*If the throttle pivot is loose, find a rebuild shop to bush it.

Jim

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comdeadspam (Tyedboyne)..I am having similar problems, i have a 22r in a 1990 truck,, with a 4 speed,,it cranks up fine,, but after it warms up it begins to idle really rough,, almost choing out at some points,, it is gradually getting worse,, ,, at tiem when this is happening ,, you can smell the gas pretty prominent ,,I have checked most of the vacuum lines,, but have came up empty ,, i also have tightened the carburator because it was loose,, but the problem still remains,,truck only has 141000 miles on it,, and I would hate to buy a new carburator for the thing if there was to be a simple problem,, any help would be gratefully appreciated

Reply to
James Andrus