Crunching in the rear, "82 Volvo 240DL"

ok First off I just drove 3200 KM from Oklahoma to here in Canada. Lets see where do I start? Well when I would head to work in the morning I would hear a tick sound from the rear end. When getting the car to move forward in first gear. As if a CV join is loose in the back? Well now that I've travelled pretty far that sound is still there however at lower speeds say below 110KM/hr it humms as if something is rubbing the tires? Not possible believe me :). However at low speeds like 10-20km, when I get the car moving again I hear some crunching sounds from the rear end, or atleast I think its the rear end. The car still shifts fine and it never slips and I mean never. So I have no clue what could be causing this odd behavior. Thanks for any help provided.

Josh

Reply to
jnicholls24

Doesn't sound good.

- Have you checked the level of lube in the differential? DO IT NOW! If it has been run low at those speeds for that amount of time it may be too late.

- The U joint at the differential may be going. They do "click" when going dry and about to fail.

- It could be a wheel bearing. After a short drive trying not to use the brakes, remove the hub caps and see if one wheel center is hotter than the other. Could also indicate a dragging brake- maybe an emergency brake shoe...?

In any case, get it looked after, and do it today! It will cost less to have a mechanic look at it than to get it towed from the middle of nowhere in Saskatchewan!

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.