degrading rubber on ignition key, known story???

hello, it seems that I am not the only one who has an ignition key with a sticky, yakky, dirty rubber... Has anybody got an idea what happens with the rubber and what can be done about it?

thanks;

2003/xc70
Reply to
Bluefoxamazone

Most likely, the key has come in contact with somehting that affects rubber. It could be something oily. Think about what it may be.

One fix is to replace the key, but they are expensive. Perhaps you can fit a plastic shield over the rubber. I doubt you could restore the rubber, and peeling it off and replacing it might cause damage to electronics under the rubber.

Reply to
Marvin

If it is they key material I'm aware of, I have yet to see it degrade. It gets scuffed and nicked over time but doesn't seem to decompose at all. As the other poster indicated, it probably came into contact with some solvent, gasoline, paint thinner, etc. I'm not aware of a way to reveres the decomposition if that is what is happening. Have a new one cut.

Reply to
Roadie

"Bluefoxamazone" wrote in message news:xe66h.183051$ snipped-for-privacy@phobos.telenet-ops.be...

Do you use a lot of hand lotion? My wife does and it has caused the steering wheel wrap to crack and the center console where her elbow rests the faux leather cover has disintegrated. It did this on another car (a Cadillac) we had. I don't know if this would cause problems with the key, I haven't seen hers lately.

Allen

Reply to
Allen