Difference between 740 and 760

Specs aside, have you ever looked underneath them? I assure you they're very different cars in virtually all respects. Sure the engine and transmission were the same, but the chassis, suspension and electrical is all just as different as the body panels.

Reply to
James Sweet

The GLE's were essentially the 760 with a 4 cylinder, there's lots of little differences but they're still all pretty much the same car. 740 used all the same trim but it's painted/powder coated black. Mine had some of the black flaking off revealing chrome underneath that I had to touch up.

Reply to
James Sweet

Were the 740 16-Valve's even more like 760s? Ours had full chrome trim, and

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I think the 16V was only available on the GLE, I don't remember if it had a GLE badge or not, either way all that I've seen were equipped accordingly.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
tkarate

They have a GLE badge

VOLVO [liscence plate] GLE 16 Valve

Reply to
Rob Guenther

You have it backwards. The 760 came out in the early 80s as a Volvo flagship. The 740 came about 3 years later as a decontented 760 with a 4 cylinder engine. The 760 then used the turbo version of the 4 as an alternative engine. The 760, 88 and after, had independent rear suspension, the 740 always used the live axle. The 760 wagon also used the live axle.

The 760 is quieter, more luxurious, has more luxurious ride, nicer dash and console, and is the higher quality car. The 740 is nice, but 760 nicer.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

The dash in a 760 is identical to that in a 740 aside from the climate control sensor cutout. They did update the 760 sooner but eventually the 740 got the same dash as well.

Personally I'd rather have a 740 Turbo, less to go wrong, a bit lighter and therefore quicker, and I *much* prefer the 5 spoke alloys over the 760 rims but that's just a matter of opinion.

Either way you look at it, they're pretty much the same car, yes I know the

760 was introduced sooner, but my statement still applies, the 760 is a loaded 740 and vice-versa.
Reply to
James Sweet

No, that's not true. The dash of the 1988-1990 760s is different than the 1988-1990 740s. Put pictures of them side to side and you'll see the difference. Even the 940s vs. 960s had different dashes. By dash I mean dash and console.

I haven't found much going wrong with my 1990 760 Turbo regarding the electrics. Power sunroof, seats, windows, everything--no problems. The

740 turbo is a different car than the 760, bigger tires, better roadholding, bigger sway bars, but interior is different. The 740 turbo is more performance oriented, the 760 is more lux oriented. I like the 740 turbo, at the time, a fun-to-drive Volvo.

The 760 was Volvo's flagship at the time. And, it is important that Volvo started with the 760 and then made it more affordable by making the 740. That makes the 740 a version of the 760. I think from 1988 on, the independent rear suspension versus the live axle on the sedan is a significant difference. I've driven a few of both and comparing them, the 760s definitely have a ride and quality feel advantage over the

740s. The 740 turbos have a sporty quality to their ride.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

No it didn't.

Where's the 250 (200 w/ 5cyl diesel)? Where's the four cylinder diesel in the 240 diesel? What about the four cylinder gasser in the 260s? Where's the two cylinder in the 122?

Right, so it's a trim level, not an engine identifier.

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

They were probably equipped with 760-like goodies, but they never got ECC or the 760/960 style dash.

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Probably, they had standard leather and power sunroof... I'm surprised the

16 Valve 4 never made it >
Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Funny you should mention that, Peter. I was waiting at some traffic lights today in my 944TD, when a 700 series estate pulled up in the next lane. It was obviously a workhorse (roofrack full of ladders), and quite tatty-looking, but I thought " my engine sounds quite loud, or is this...?" and sure enough, the tailgate badges read 760GLE Turbodiesel.

Did the 940TD's use the same VW motor?

Reply to
James Sweet