Faded 1990 740 bumper

The bumper on my 1990 740 GLE is in good shape for it's age but the original color, a sort of medium brown, has faded considerably. When it's wet the color is much like what I believe to be the original but as soon as it dries it's back to the very (!!) light tan.

Is there a preparation that I can apply? I tried Armoral and car wax but nothing seems to work.

Thanks very much,

Perk (:>)

Reply to
Perk

The bumper isn't just black? Usually it's plain black plastic stuff, though some of the higher trim level cars have it painted to match the body.

Reply to
James Sweet

Use shoe polish the kind in the bottle with sponge on the bottle

Reply to
Glenn K

Sorry, I was working from memory as far as the color was concerned, I guess it's more like a light charcoal color, but take a look at

I simply poured a little water on it and you can see the difference.If one were to try the shoe polish method I'd think it would be best to use a neutral color. (??)

Thanks again,

Perk

Perk wrote:

Reply to
Perk

Believe it or not, it was flat black when your car was new. Don't bother with shoe polish, it's messy and won't hold up. You can buy bumper and trim paint meant for plastic, prep by scrubbing it real good to remove all traces of wax and dirt. Ideally you should remove the bumper skin, but you can put a sheet over the car and then use masking tape and newspaper to protect from overspray. You'll be amazed at how much better the car looks when you finish.

Reply to
James Sweet

I just recently used this stuff from Meguiar's on my '88 760 (the bumpers had faded in the same manner that yours had as shown in the pictures you posted later in the thread)

Both bumpers (and mudflaps) now look like NEW. Just a quick spray across the entire surface, then wipe with a soft cloth.

Secondly, avoid using ArmorAll _anywhere_ on your car.

Thirdly, avoid using SHOE POLISH on your car! You'll just create a disgusting mess with horrendously uneven colours all over the bumpers.

HTH.

Cheers, Andy.

Reply to
Andy