Looking for 1990 740 info

I am looking at a high mileage (~225k miles) 1990 740 sedan w/ the auto gear box. I am wondering what I should look for. The body is in good shape for the age, but that's not everything. I am not familiar at all with Volvos so any information you could offer would be great. Thanks

Matt

Reply to
M Warren

I would avoid the ZF auto transmissions, but if the shifter has a small button on the side to lockout the overdrive, it's an AW-70/71 and those are pretty solid.

Clean out the flame trap, check for leaks, if it's a 16V motor change the timing belt immediately unless you *know* it was changed on time. Otherwise they're pretty solid cars, mine also had 225K when I bought it

8 years ago, still driving it daily.
Reply to
James Sweet

Mr. V