flutter sound ('85 240)

Hi all,

I hope someone might have a good guess as to what's causing a mild fluttering -- sounds kind of like an exhaust pipe leak starting to happen, but I'm not sure cuz it seems more like it's coming from somewhere a bit higher toward the engine. It's louder when I apply acceerator, whether moving or not. I'm also having a water pump leak problem right now, so I'm wondering if the two are related. Any thoughts, anyone? Thanks in advance.

ps - I'm an auto idiot, so please be gentle with me.

-creton

Reply to
brati6

Still a maybe exhaust leak. Manifold gasket or flange gasket sound similar. Unlikely to be related to water pump, at least not directly. The manifold gasket you can tackle from on top, auto idiot or no, but the flange gasket is harder to reach. In any event, even a small amount of tightening of nuts will mae an appreciable difference if it is an exhaust leak, so then you've isolated the problem.

Reply to
Andrew McKenna

If you are nervous about tackling the repair yourself, it should be a quick and inexpensive repair at your local exhaust / muffler shop.

Reply to
zencraps

I would strongly advise against tightening the nuts, unless they're loose. Normally exhaust nuts are siezed onto the threads and often the studs will snap off if you're not very careful, and then you have a real mess.

Reply to
James Sweet